Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Fads

I think we all know "that guy" who hates everything popular. For example,
1. AIM: "What a stupid invention. I don't use AIM. I only use ICQ." Yes, of course, we all used ICQ back in the day. Instant messaging is a tool for communication. You can be as obstinate as you want and pretend to be cooler by using ICQ, but because no one uses it anymore, there's no communication going on.
2. Web: I know someone who actually wants to go back to gopher. Should I say more?
3. Blogs: Yes, they are everywhere, but so is the apple? I eat apples. Do you?

Let me be perfectly clear: Society may be diminishing as a result of these inventions. There may be less face to face communication, and more demand for instant access and gratification. However, to be categorically against anything that is "in style" seems sorta backwards. As many of you know, I am completely (almost categorically!) against change. But, I do like to go with the flow and evaluate each fad individually to determine if find it useful.

So what if I bought an iPod because I saw it in an episode of ER. I ended up finding it incredibly useful. I can't help it if everyone else finds it useful and buys one too!

I must be a square for getting on all the bandwagons. Sooner or later I am going to get too tired for the bandwagons, but for now, I enjoy riding the wave of pop culture.

No comments: