Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hollywood Operating Sytems

Incredible graphics, quick access to commonly used functions, lots of blinking lights and incredible connectivity! Am I describing the latest and greatest from Microsoft, Cisco or Nokia? No, in fact, I am not.

I am, however, describing the Hollywood Operating System. From War Games to Hackers to Mission: Impossible, we've seen those great software creations that power both the computers and the plotline. demaria has put together a clever list of all the requirements for a Hollywood Operating System.

The author has left out the great "easter egg" from The Net that transports the visitor to a highly secure parallel computing environment. Don't forget about the OS in Hackers that allows full screen video to be played when the laptop is opened. Don't be fooled -- this OS also includes a simple, yet elegant, binary code editor suitable for bug-fixing.

What about newer releases like You've Got Mail? If I remember correctly, the AOL software supported not only their Internet connection, but also their entire computer. I would love to get my hands on some software like that.

What would you add to the list?

Of course, your HollywoodOS is not complete without a genius at the controls. Who was your favorite cinematic hacker? Personally I always wanted to be Boris from Goldeneye. I used to wear my glasses at the tip of my nose just to emulate him. Some even claim he was the reason I started twirling my pen.

There are other great Keyboard Samurai: Jonny Lee Miller in Hackers, Sandra Bullock in The Net, Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames in Mission: Impossible and the unforgettable Matt Broderick in War Games.

Who is your favorite hollywood hacker? What is your favorite HollywoodOS?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said I was going to enjoy this post, and I do. But, mostly because it allows me to mention my
favorite webcomic of all time


The relavant quote:
Cool, its running HollywoodOS, this one is easy. I'll just bypass the screensaver, install the virus, reroute the encryption aaand. . . we're in!