Thursday, April 28, 2005

Kroger vs The Teet

As many of you will remember, when I first came to Charlottesville I was totally committed to Kroger. I swore up and down that Kroger was the best -- there were no others that even came close. Then, thanks to the prodding of Tuba, I decided to try the Teet. I agreed to try Harris Teeter since it was such a funny name. I still can't say it without laughing! Can you?

Well, after my first visit, I was hooked. The apples, carrots, green peppers and turkey were fresh and the staff was incredibly nice. As a matter of fact, I have built up a friendship with the guy who runs the automated check out line. As a side note, I was worried last week when I hadn't seen him for a while -- I thought they fired him. But, it turns out he was just sick and took some time off to remember.

I digress. Tonight I encountered a terrible situation. The normally 24hr Harris Teeter was closed for rewaxing the floors. The guy at the door was nice enough to inform me that Kroger was still open. I really needed Turkey and apples for dinner, so I decided to give the K another try. First, Kroger is much dimmer than the Teet. Not inviting at all. Its like the Kmart of grocery stores -- odd and definitely retro 80s. I did find some turkey, but I couldn't find any Fuji apples. Once I located where the Fuji apples should be, I found only 3 left. They were mealy and perhaps even worm infested. Okay, they weren't that bad.

I guess the bottom line is this: Harris Teeter is clearly preferred to the Kroger. I would have to say that the x-factor in the grocery store list is Publix. These are only really common in the south and are actually headquartered in Florida. They have a great in-store sandwich shop that makes incredibly filling subs. The Boar's Head turkey that they serve is absolutely incredible.

In other news, I have recently been thinking alot about Greenville. I have been spending time reminiscing about my years in Greenville and at Furman. I have mostly been thinking about the summers with random Puerto Ricans (not to be confused with Mexicans) and all my college friends (and Cincinnati friends that I have kept up with throughout). I have also been thinking lots about the last two semesters I spent at Furman and the relationship that I formed and continue to enjoy. Its just incredible how much all my friends at Furman (who will go unnamed since they know who they are) have helped me and how I enjoyed my time at Furman. Based upon that, its hard NOT to think about it.

However, I am well-aware of the danger of spending all your time looking backwards -- you're bound to run into something and look stupid. I am very grateful to be making friends with people at UVA. So far they have put up with my neurosis and I really quite enjoy their company. There have already been a number of times where they have helped me without even knowing it.

I know that's a bit odd, or sappy, or whatever. But, its something that I have been thinking about alot recently, so I thought that I would write it down. I am looking forward to a great summer. Let's make it through finals and get down to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WIll, What up Dog? It's the frostman. I am a Kroger guy here in Atlanta, where they bought out all of the Harris Teeters. I have been the the Harris Teeter in C-ville and I will say, it is quite nice. I am a fan of the walk in beer cooler. I hope all is well up there man and I hope we can see each other at some point.