Sunday, April 17, 2005

Thoughts about IM

Well, its been about two days since I have given up IM. I gotta tell you that there have been times where I had muscle memory going for the GAIM icons -- I think it was my desire to check away messages. The time that I have saved by not being interrupted by IM has probably been lost other places. But, I can only make one step at a time. The ultimate goal is to find where technology and connectedness are helpful to be and where they are a hindrance. Once I find that balance, I will be happier -- at least I think. The one thing that I miss dearly about IM is putting up the away message. I think that the away message morphed from a polite message letting people know that you aren't at the keyboard to something that represents and even defines a personality. I will spare you the details, but its easy to tell the difference between a person who chooses "I am away from my computer" as their away message and someone who comes up with something witty and funny. I enjoyed putting up random quotes from movies and shows. I enjoyed making riddles and posting inside jokes. But alas, those days have passed. Does anyone else think that away messages can help inspect someone's personality?

Before I close this post, I would like to thank those who have gone the extra mile to email or call my cell phone to alert me to events that I may otherwise have missed as a result of the IM strike (thanks for that name Tuba). So far so good -- here's to hoping that it can last.

No comments: