Wednesday, April 20, 2005

TV Shows and HEAT

As it turns out, it has been quite hot these past few days. And by "few", I mean two. Before that, we had a brief cold snap. Due to this cold snap, I had the heat fired up again. Well, when I walked in the door today, I realized a serious error had been made. Its about four-thousand degrees in my office. Okay, yes, there may be some exageration there. But, the point remains: its HOT!

To remedy the situation, two things were done. The first and obvious remedy to the situation is to turn off the heat. Done. Second, I opened a window. You may ask yourself, "Why is he telling me this?" Well, opening (and sleeping with it open) a window is not an easy thing for me to do. For some reason, the sound of the outdoors while I sleep is incredibly upsetting. As it is, I have a terrible sleeping pattern so any little distruption can cause some serious havoc. We'll see how it goes. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted.

In other news, I just got done watching my Tivo of the "Deadliest Catch". Its a new Discovery Channel show that chronicles these Alaskan crab fisherman as they fish constantly for 5 days. These five days are considered a fishing season and are highly regulated by the gaming commission. During the past seasons, at least one person has passed away at sea per week. That's crazy (quoting Brian Fellows)! I have always had a very big fear of waves. So, I suppose its a little odd that I am drawn to this show that follows fisherman as they brave giant rogue waves washing aboard. I give the first episode a huge thumbs up. If the death rate weren't so high, I would probably add this to my dream job list. Ask me personally if you are interested in the current contents of this list.

Well, a new person has entered the blog commenting fray! Welcome Anonymous. Of course, we all know who it is since he confessed. But, he (or she) posed a question: is my IM "strike" a Super Size Me type experiment? Am I going to return to IM after 1 month a new and refreshed user? Will I make a social commentary about my time away from IM? Well, for the record, the answer is "no" to all those questions. Saying that now, things could change. So far my hypothesis has played out exactly: the amount of time that I wasted with idle chat has been reclaimed into my day for meaningful work. Moreoever, thanks to my friends, I have yet to miss out on a social event. I was almost positive that this would happen as events are spontaneously planned, changed, confirmed, rechanged and reconfirmed within minutes over the IM network. I would highly recommend trying out the IM strike for a few days to see if you like it! One of our commenters tried this strike for 1 day last year. This commenter has revealed to me that it wasn't as bad as he/she expected. Give it a try -- what's the risk?!

Keep it up!

From the jungle,
Will

No comments: