Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Academic Advisor Trouble

Update: Sorry for posting this multiple times. Weak signal last night.

Good evening.

Tonight I received a very odd email from my advisor. It appears that he received a tenured professorship offer from the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign. He has to decide to accept or reject the offer within two weeks.

If he accepts this position, he would have to start working there this Fall. As he said in his email, it is a great opportunity for him. UIUC is a top 5 CS department and it is a great honor for him to be offered this position. Honestly, I don't see how he could turn it down.

My advisor is very well known in the field of real time computing. He has worked hard for 20 years (dating back, I'm sure, to his undergraduate days) to acheive a prominent position in his field. This is a great reward for that hard work.

He asked all of his advisees to send their thoughts about his offer. To say anything other than "accept" would be an incredibly selfish thing to do. Offers like this are few and far between. I like my advisor. He's a great guy. He worked hard and he deserves to benefit from that effort.

If he does decide to take the position, I have no idea what I would do. Despite the many uncertanties, I know that I would absolutely not take the other professor in our research group as an advisor. Other than that, I honestly have no idea what I would do.

So, like usual, I choose not to think about it until I have to. When/if he takes the offer, I will have to ask myself some serious questions about my future as a CS researcher.

Since he only has two weeks to decide, we'll know soon enough. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Mudfud said...

Would you be able to move with him? (and want to?) I know several grad students who did this....

Will Hawkins said...

It would be a very backhanded way to move my way up the academic rankings, but I don't think that I would move with him.

UIUC is in a climate that does not interest me. It's already too cold in Va.

Additionally, there are people there (students) who make me cringe. They are actually grad students in the CS department so the chance of running into them is high. That's not a risk I am willing to take! ;-)

If he had transferred to UC, then I would have followed. I could be closer to you guys!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, Will. If you want me to put in a good word for you with the other Jack, let me know ;)