Sunday, June 26, 2005

The Long Post Home

Hey? Where do I come up with these blog titles? Its really hard to say.

Recently I have posted about things that should interest my readership. First, the post containing a reference to Google Maps should have generated at least one response. Second, I assumed that my previous post about Scientology would generate a commentary from a different, but just as important, reader. And yet, nothing.

I try not to meta-blog, but I wanted to find out if I was missing something?

Meta blog: Blog about your own blog.

We are still in Cortland, NY. Cortland is about 20 miles away from Ithaca and about 8 hours from Charlottesville. It's a nice town that houses a SUNY college. The Country Inn and Suites where I am staying offers free coffee, apples and cookies 24/7. Its a taste treat to be able to munch away on a cookie and sip a coffee any time I feel the urge. Of course I can't eat cookies, so that part is pretty much out. And, come to think of it, the apples are quite nasty. So, I guess that leaves coffee? Well, there is no Splenda to be found. So, I guess there's really no such thing as free snacks.

Today was consumed by about 8 hours of volleyball. Are you kidding me? It was great. I have always had a special place in my heart for volleyball. Every Tuesday evening in the summer after HS graduation was spent playing pickup sand volleyball with my friends. I was known as the only guy who would leave each game with sand in his ears. Today's games were a little different since we were playing on grass. For most Americans, touching grass is not a huge problem. My histamines, however, seem to stage a wicked, violent revolt every time my bare skin comes into contact with those green blades of pain. So, I was trying to stay on my feet. That goal was definitely accomplished through what the outside observer may describe as lethargy.

My fondness for volleyball was cemented during the last summer olympic games when Misty May and Kerri Walsh engaged in vigorous celebrations while rolling about in the sand. Talk about compelling video.

If 8 hours of volleyball was not enough, the temperatures here in NY reached a balmy 102 degrees. During our lunch break, I went for a 1/2hr run. The run was excellent, but the farms of NY offer little in the way of shade. To give you a better idea of just how hot it was, my foot actually stuck to the ground when I accidentally stepped into asphalt goo during my run.

Asphalt goo: The tar like substance applied to asphalt in a futile attempt to keep the cracks in the surface from spreading.

I checked my face in the mirror, and it occurs to me that I should have worn sunscreen. Not to fear, my beard provides a very natural UV repellent!

Tomorrow I return to Charlottesville.

I'll see you there, hopefully!

No comments: