Friday, June 24, 2005

Things aren't easy

Things aren't easy. I think, however, that if they were then it wouldn't be challenging or fun.

Having said that, a little help every now and again isn't all that bad. I would be doing a great diservice to my reader if I were to start ranting. So, I won't.

To the news of the day:

1. It is important to note that the roads on Google Maps are not necessarily paved. I spent some time on maps.google.com earlier today planning a nice, interesting, new ride. I had a great path that seemed to be about 2 hrs. I was going to ride out to the airport and make a right staying on a road that would eventually loop around to the otherside of the airport and return me to where I started. 1 mile after making a right at the airport, the road turned to gravel. For those of you who have heard my Knight's of Columbus dancing story may be reminded of the following quote: "Oh, I didn't know the road turned to gravel this soon." Needless to say, the route was ruined and I was forced to improvise.

2. The dining room captain at Panera threatened me today. He said that he keeps his eye on "campers" like me. Michael Jackson jokes aside, I felt put off. I was sitting at a booth for two, minding my own business. I was not sitting at a table for four spread out like an eagle. Also, I just finished a Caramel Latte (yes, I am *that* guy) and a lunch. That comes to a grand total of about $12. Doesn't that get me a seat in the "dining room" for 4 hours? I agree that during the lunch rush space is at a premium and I adhere to the social laws. If I saw people holding food in their hands waiting for a seat then I certainly would have collapsed my work area to allow a patron to chow. Also, I would have never taken up a table for four. Anyone who does that must be an undergrad! Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. I have talked with this captain before and I know that he means well. The more he and I talked about this, the more upset I got. Eventually I was sure that I would never return to Panera. However, when I walked out he slipped me a coupon for a free coffee and bagel. You know exactly where I am going for breakfast!

3. Softball. That doesn't even get a comment.

4. I seemed to be very hungry and operating on a huge calorie deficit. I really thought that I was eating enough, but apparently I was wrong. So, tonight I tried to make up for that a little bit. To do so, I decided to satisfy a recent, surpressed craving -- peas! I have wanted cooked peas for almost a week now. I was able to partially satisfy this animalistic urge yesterday when we frequented the Ruby Tuesday for a late lunch. However, those peas are cold and I, like a pregnant woman who wants Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, was not satisfied with the plain Chocolate Chip ice cream of cold peas. Close, but no cigar. I digress. (If I hadn't just digressed, I would digress about how much I enjoy saying "I digress". But, I digress.) The frozen peas that I bought at the 'teet cooked up nicely in the microwave. Once cooked, they appeared a radiation (not radiant) green and they tasted excellent. In addition to the peas, I had some pasta, carrots, a turkey sandwich and an apple. Mmmmm, good!

5. The 11:00pm Seinfeld is no longer being shown on one of the local ABC affiliates. In the past months, the Seinfeld has started at 11:05pm. From 11:00pm to 11:05pm a news snippet was shown. The affiliate is a small, local operation and during the first few weeks of the newscast, you could really tell. But, things slowly fell into place. The newsreaders are actually quite good and the stories aren't awful. A few nights ago, however, the news snippet turned into a full out evening newscast. Apparently this was not a planned thing, since my Tivo schedule still thinks that Seinfeld is on. So, I suppose its both good and bad, at the same time!

That's all for now. You can expect some full updates this weekend about my volleyball escapades. Remember Karch Kiraly and Kent Steffes from the pro beach volleyball circa 1990? Yeah, they were losers! I am going to kick some butt. Get off me, net!

No comments: