Saturday, June 11, 2005

Initial Test Results

Hello.

I have recently embarked upon some research to study the usability patterns of people connected to free wifi hotspots. In my first study, I noticed some data that was quite different than previously published figures. We'll have to see how this holds. Not only did I find some interesting patterns in periods of usage, but I also noticed that many people access the wireless 'net using some form of an Intel adapter. This is probably the result of Intel manufacturing most "built-in" wireless adapters that are shipped with laptop computers these days.

Tomorrow I plan on collecting some more data at a different hotspot location. Eventually it would be nice to try to figure out if those who offer free wifi see a significant increase in their revenue. In other words, do people consider usage of a free hotspot as an obligation to purchase something from the owner of the hotspot? I know that I do. I would be interested to hear what the loyal readers have to say about this? Do you buy from those who offer free wireless internet access?

No comments: