Monday, June 27, 2005

Politician's as Medical Doctors

It was reported today that medicine prescribed by doctors to treat anxiety and insomnia will no longer be covered for patients on Medicare.

Obviously I am no medical doctor. Or am I? I once read a book about how to read an ECG. So I guess by Tom Cruise's definition, I am a cardiologist.

In any event, I know little about these benzodiazepine-based drugs. From this article it would appear that there are possible downsides to this drug, such as addiction.

Shouldn't doctors be the ones who make the decision as to what drugs are appropriate for the treatment of their patients? I know that argument has been made many times before, but it bears repeating. As a matter of fact, Dr. Donna Fick does just that in the aforementioned article:

"I would never say someone should never be on a certain class of drugs. That's up to a doctor who can see the whole picture, but I generally think they should be avoided in older adults."

These things should be debated by people with a background in toxicology and medicine, but I just had to say something.

I guess I'll stick to Technology, where at least I am trained!

No comments: