Wednesday, July 27, 2005

More Personal Golf News

As you probably didn't know, the United States Senior Open starts tomorrow. Players are chosen for the tournament based upon their past play (professional status, past major tournament victories, etc) or their play in a series of qualifying tournaments.

Steve Pinger, a good friend of mine, will be competing in this year's Open. He made it to the tournament by way of great play in a sectional qualifier. As a matter of fact, his score of 68 was good enough to win that qualifier.

I met Mr. Pinger during my years of employment at the California Golf (and racquet) Course. Also, I was good friends with both of his sons. His approach to the game of golf is different than almost anyone else I have ever known!

I wish him the best of luck this weekend. His US Open experience will begin tomorrow morning at 9:16am. He'll be playing with the well-known David Estes and Terry Florence.

I will keep this post updated with his scores as they are made available.

Update 1: Mr. Pinger shot four over par (+4) in his first round. The leader is seven under (-7). Mr. Pinger tees off in the early afternoon tomorrow and I will keep everyone updated.

Update 2: Mr. Pinger had a rough second round. He played great in the qualifier and it was great to see him in one of the most prestigious golf tournaments in the country. I am sure that his game will lead him to at least one more Open before his career is over.

No comments: