Friday, July 08, 2005

MS 150

Hello there.

It was quite a day. I am trying to head to bed so that I can be rested for the first day of the MS150 tomorrow. I am going to wake up around 4:30am and leave for the race at 5:00am. Riding begins at 7:30am and I will report on my condition later tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks to all of you who sponsored me through donations and thoughts. It is an important charity and it's great fun. However, there is always the danger associated with riding a bike for those distances. So, wish me luck.

Today was a fun day. My dad and I played golf and then mom and I learned how to Kayak.

For those of you interested, we learned four different kayaking strokes. The most important is the power stroke. This, apparently, is the stroke that will get you from point A to point B the quickest. In my case, the power stroke is the fastest way to get you from point A to point C to point D and finally to point B.

To steer, there are the sweep and brace stroke. Finally, there is the brake stroke.

Getting in and out of the craft are by far the most difficult parts of the entire kayak operation. My mom and I both had our fair share of difficulty. She had to request help because of a shoulder "injury". I toughed it out. I guess I should say that I tried to tough it out. To successfully emerge from the vessel, I did require assistance from Mom. Almost an hour of maneuvering and I was only a little wet. Hopefully there will be time for kayak adventures in the future.

Stay tuned for race updates tomorrow.

No comments: