Thursday, July 07, 2005

Supreme Court Nominations

Last night I sent the following message to the President of the United States of America. The President does get a few more emails every day than I do. For that reason, I won't expect a response tomorrow. However, I do expect to hear a reply before the start of next week. Wish me luck!


Mr. President,
Allow me to introduce myself. I am William Hawkins, a graduate student
at the University of Virginia. I am a student of Computer Science studying
for a PhD.

I have been following the news regarding the retirement of Justice
O'Connor. News reports suggest that you may have already undertaken the
task of creating a list of potential nominees. While listening to the
pundits pontificate about people they think may be on the list, I have not
heard my name mentioned.

Since I am still a relatively unknown person, I thought that I should
contact you directly to ensure that I had made it on the list of potential
nominees. Please allow me to address the three main reasons why I am
uniquely qualified to be a Supreme Court Justice.

1. I have absolutely no preconceived notions about the law. I have never
attended law school nor have I been indoctrinated with the formalisms of
traditional Constitutional study. I would bring a clean, empty mind to the
bench that would allow me to make decisions independently.

2. I am young. As a 23 year old, with no criminal record (aside from a
traffic ticket), I think that I could sail through the nomination and
confirmation process. Some other potential nominees will draw criticism
from the conservatives, liberals or both. Mr. President, you said that you
are a uniter not a divider. If you want a nominee that is a uniter not a
divider, I am your man. I would cause few problems for Mr. Thompson
throughout the appointment procedure.

3. I require no clothing or makeup budget. I can look clean, able and
confident in front of the national press with little more than a bottle of
Gatorade, Big Red chewing gum and a Klondike bar.

I hope to be the best Justice possible. Since Fall classes do not start
for another two months, I will be available for all the hearings that will
take place in the confirmation process.

Please acknowledge that you have received this message. I check my email
regularly, so all information regarding meeting times and places can be
sent to this address.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President.

Sincerely,


Future Supreme Court Justice Nominee,
William Hawkins

No comments: