Saturday, July 09, 2005

MS150 Day 1

Day 1 of the MS150 is complete.

I rose on time this morning about 4:30am. I was one of the first people to get to the registration area. As a note to myself: get up at 5am next year.

The registration area was much nicer this year than last. There was plenty of space and there were no lines. Once I was registered, I settled in with some free food and coffee until race time.

I was able to meet up with the same people that I rode with last year. How crazy is that? Out of 200+ riders, I managed to find the same people two years in a row.

Cammy Dierking (local celebrity) was onhand as usual for the ride. She's recovered from her lower-extremity surgery and I believe she actually rode. Bad news, however: Steve Horstmeyer (another local celerity) did not race. He had a wedding to attend. Lame! I mean, marital bliss or bike race? Actually, I don't even think it was his wedding. And if it was, he could be late, right? No one's getting married without the groom.

Anyways, the course was completely different this year than in years past. Supposedly it was much flatter. I don't believe a bit of that, but if it makes everyone feel better to say it, then great. We hit the lunch stop (mile 35) by around 9:30am. From there it was on to the 25 mile loop.

The 25 mile loop was a special part of the course that would increase the mileage from 50 to 75. Again, this is a change from the past. Usually the standard distance is 75 miles and the extra distance is 100. This year, however, the standard distance was 50 miles and the extended "remix" was 75.

I guess the course designers figured that since those on the loop were going "above and beyond" they could make it as crazy as they wanted. The loop starts with a huge descent. We actually reached 37 mph on the way down the hill. That's probably the fastest I have ever gone on a bike. But, don't worry, you can't maintain momentum since there is a stop sign right at the bottom. Since the extra distance is a loop, you start and end in the same spot. Well, since we went down the hill to start, we had to make up that altitude somehow, right?

Well, it started with a small climb which I decided to really kill. As we crested that little gem, I got a glimpse of what was forthcoming -- an even bigger climb. So, foolishly, I put it down on that hill too. Once I reached that apex, what greeted my delirious eyes? A third climb. Oh yes, well, we must be done after three straight climbs, correct? No no. Left turn and one final climb right back to where we started.

While I was stupid to go so hard up those hills, I pleased that I had enough in the tank to do it. The group I was riding with thinned out up those hills and I ended up at the front with another guy who was riding a Softride bike. He's a cheater. That's like putting a motor on your bike.

But, we regrouped at the top and headed out for the last 15 miles. The last fifteen were devilish. The wind was strong and in our face. But, we made it.

By 12:19 I was off the bike and inside the University of Dayton welcome center.

It occurs to me that a) I have a roommate now and b) he's trying to take a nap. So, I will stop the incessant typing and let him be.

What can I say? There's 75 more tomorrow!

PS: I forgot my shoes. No shoes, no shirt, no service. I'm hungry!

No comments: